Construction Industry Force Account Council

Promoting Transparency Through Public Agency Compliance

City Of Riverside Charter Information

Charter Sec. 1109. Public works contracts.

Every project for the construction and/or improvement of public buildings, works, streets, drains, sewers, utilities, parks or playgrounds, and every purchase of supplies or materials for any such project, when the total expenditures required for the same exceed $50,000 shall be let by the City Council or by the Board of Public Utilities pursuant to Section 1202(b), by contract to the lowest responsible bidder after notice by publication in a newspaper of general circulation within the City by one or more insertions, the first of which shall be at least ten days before the time for opening bids. Projects for the maintenance or repair of streets, drains or sewers are excepted from the requirements of this section if the City Council determines that such work can be performed more economically by a City department than by contracting for the doing of such work. All bids shall be accompanied by either a certified or cashier’s check, or a bidder’s bond executed by a corporate surety authorized to engage in such business in California, made payable to the City, or such other form of bidder’s security as the City Council establishes by ordinance. Such security shall be in an amount not less than that specified in the notice inviting bids or in an amount not less than ten percent of the aggregate amount of the bid. If the successful bidder neglects or refuses to enter into the contract, within the time specified in the notice inviting bids or in the specifications referred to therein, the amount of the bidder’s security shall be declared forfeited to the City and shall be collected and paid into its general fund, and all bonds so forfeited shall be prosecuted and the amount thereof collected and paid into such fund.

The City Council or Board of Public Utilities pursuant to Section 1202(b) may reject any and all bids presented and may readvertise in its discretion. The City Council, without advertising for bids, or after rejecting bids, or if no bids are received, may declare and determine that, in its opinion, based on estimates approved by the City Manager, the work in question may be performed better or more economically by the City with its own employees or the supplies or materials may be purchased more economically on the open market, and after the adoption of a resolution to that effect by at least five affirmative votes of the City Council may proceed to have said work done or said supplies or materials purchased in the manner stated, without further observance of the provisions of this section. Such contracts likewise may be let without advertising for bids if such work or supplies or materials shall be deemed by the City Council to be of urgent necessity for the preservation of life, health or property, and shall be authorized by resolution passed by at least five affirmative votes of the City Council and containing a declaration of the facts constituting such urgency.

Projects for the construction and/or improvement of any public utility operated by the City or for the purchase of supplies or equipment for any such utility may be excepted from the requirements of this section, provided the City Council so determines by at least five affirmative votes. (Effective 1/18/2005 and 1/6/2003)

Receive the Latest Legislative News, Progress Reports and Call-To-Action Notifications.
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: CIFAC, 2420 Martin Road, Suite 250, Fairfield, CA, 94534 United States, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email.

Part-Time Researcher & Office Assistant